Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Timing is Funny

It is amazing to me how timing is everything. I have found lately that there are people put in your life just as you need them to be there. I am so very grateful and blessed to have such people in my life. I am writing this down so I can come back and remember it when I need it. :)

Sometimes I find myself so angry and the next minute so sad. Yesterday Cole came home from school and he seemed totally fine. When Andrew got home from work Cole broke down and told him how kids can be so mean to him at school. The kids on the playground call him stupid and tell him he is a nerd. I feel terrible that I have been so unapproachable that he wouldn't come to me with this. I sat and listened to him cry. I realized how very alike we are. We had a chat just him and I and we came to some conclusions...

1. NOBODY can make us feel what we won't allow them to. Just because people tear us down to make us feel like nothing doesn't mean that it is true. WE can CHOOSE how we react to these mean people. The funny thing was I was listening to myself tell this to Cole and that is when it hit me that I do it too. Probably more than him!
2. Nerds own everything! I hope he is a nerd. This mama wants to get paid! :) He is so smart. He is so thoughtful and He takes care of everyone around here. Who would be mean to this sweet tender spirit??? He is amazing to me and I am dumbfounded by kids. And yet it is to be expected. Someday these kids will realize how lucky they were to have known Cole. He can make me laugh, cry in a good way and he makes sure that I am happy.

I am so thankful to have my family. I am constantly amazed by their sweetness and how much they care for each other. How did I get so lucky???

3 comments:

Kasey said...

My heart is breaking for Cole. Kids are cruel and it's so hard because they do get their little feelings hurt. Just keep being a good mom and making him feel good and teaching him how to overcome it. It's a shame that the other kids think it's okay to make another child feel sad. Tomorrow will be a better day!

Shellee said...

This is a great thing to teach him while he's young. If he can learn now how to recognize a true friend, how to not let others' unkind word affect him, and how we should love and forgive others; then he's going to be a great missionary and a great friend. It's a great teaching opportunity, grab it!!!

Shellee said...

Great, I like the word great.