Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Behavior Charts

Yep you read that right. I have created behavior charts. They have only been in effect for 6 hours but let me tell you they work like a charm so far! Cole has always been prone to throw fits. He has a sensory issue and when overstimulated he acts like a 2 year old. Yesterday I had had it! So I made each child their very own chart. Here is how it works:

Every time I "catch" them doing something good, something I didn't ask them to do. Going the extra mile some might say, they get a sticker on their chart. When they get twenty stickers on their chart they will get to go to the dollar store and pick something out.

Every time I "catch" them doing something naughty like throw a fit, fight, or not do what they are asked I put a check mark on the chart. To make up for the check mark they must do two good deeds of MY choosing. Then I will put a little sticker over the big check mark. I want them to still be able to see that the check mark was there.

I think that by making this visual they will be able to see how much extra work it is to "repent" then we can have a teaching opportunity that if we just do what is right in the first place, then we don't have to do the extra "work" to make things right. Time will tell....

3 comments:

Stephanie Shumway said...

yay! I must needs copy you. Smart lady. We wont be at the pool on Thursday :( We'll miss our Knudsen swimming time!!

Anonymous said...

uhm....great idea!!!!

Laurie said...

We do Helpful charts. It's helpful to be nice to your sister. :) I love the double sticker idea, though!!