Sunday, September 23, 2012

Public Speaking

I have never been very good at public speaking. My dad is an amazing speaker. He is funny and spiritual all at one time. I have always been amazed at his ability to do this. He has a way with people and he inspires me.

Today Andrew and I spoke in church. I was so nervous! I was sitting up there on the stand and looked out at my ward family and realized that these are all people who know me and love me. They aren't judging me or laughing at me. The people who know me best knew how hard this would be for me and they each gave me a smile or a look. My favorite was my friend Jill who offered me valium. It was pretty funny. I watched my parents wrestling with Chase and realized that I had it easier than they did. Hahaha.

I was amazed.  I wasn't nervous as I started my talk. I was able to read my notes and expound on them without having to read every word. I was able to put myself into the talk and to even have a little fun. Am I comfortable with public speaking? No. But if I have learned anything at all in the past few years it is this....

I CAN DO HARD THINGS!
 
I am not afraid to share my thoughts and ideas with others. I have something to contribute. I have learned many things during tough times and I am so thankful for that opportunity for growth and strength. The Gospel is incredible and perfect and I am so thankful for that KNOWLEDGE!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

See?? I told you it would be awesome!

Love the Autumn background, by the way!

Cluff Family said...

I thought you and Andrew both gave wonderful talks. I was delighted when I looked up on the stand and realized you two would be our speakers. I think you are both AWESOME!