Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Kids Can Be So Cruel

Lately Kiley has been coming home from school telling me that the girls in her class keep making fun of her. She tells me that she isn't pretty enough and that her clothes are always the same. I hate to be the kind of mom that puts emphasis on what you wear...so, what do I do? They tell her that they won't play with her unless she gives them things. How do I raise her to be a confident happy girl? I tell her that those kind of people don't need someone as special as her as a friend. I also tell her that truly beautiful people are kind and loving. I just hope she will listen to me and realize what a special little girl she is. She is beautiful inside and out and I can't imagine anyone being mean to her. Lets all hope that our children can find kindness in our schools.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi:) a friend linked me to your blog, you have a beautiful family.
I went to high school with andrew. You guys are adorable!
It was nice to catch up after 10 years and see how he and his family are doing. Thank you for keeping a blog!

AZMarianos said...

Seriously, what is wrong with kids?? Brayden (my 4 yr old) has been saying the same thing when I pick him up. At 4 yrs old?!?!? Why do kids have to be so mean? I think this is the hardest part of being a parent - trying to decide what is best. We all want our kids to be liked and happy...why can't this be easier??? I think you are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

I think you gave her a good answer, and really that's all you can do. Just stay positive and focus on her inner beauty and it will work itself out.

By the way, I need you to email me because I lost your email address to add to the bunco list.

terabear@cox.net. - cya!

wendy said...

Oh my gosh Jenny, that breaks my heart! I can't believe it's already starting! Maybe she doesn't need those little girls as friends! They probly learn to be that way from there snobby little mothers! My friend has a daughter and she and her little friend have gone thru something similar. I think you handled it well and all you can do is build her up and encourage her not to give in to that behavior. Oh, that makes me so mad!

Mrs.EBG said...

Yaay for finding your blog!!

As far as Kiley goes, I think you are doing exactly what you should. You told her everything that you needed to. Sorry that she has to go through this... kids are mean!

Chelsie Sanders said...

i can't believe how rude little girls can be, especially that young. Kiley is the cutest little girl!

Stephanie Shumway said...

Just tell her that the next time they say that she can't play with them unless she gives them something she can say, "ok, you can have a knuckle sandwich." geez louise. I wish Megan and Kiley went to the same school. they would be inseparable!